Learn several stitches to create borders and edgings on your textiles in this two-part online workshop. Participants will look at a few embroideries from Sarah Pedlow’s personal collection for inspiration and then dive into this skills-based class.
Part 1: Blanket/Buttonhole stitch and variations, Palestrina Stitch, Beginning Needle Lace used in Hungarian Transylvanian traditions, and a simple fringe.
Part 2: You will learn beginning drawn thread work techniques to make borders used in whitework and colorful embroideries from different traditions.
No previous experience is necessary.
Thursday, May 25th, 2023 & Thursday, June 1st, 2023
12pm – 2pm ET
Zoom, a link will be sent to participants
the day before class.
- 6 stranded embroidery floss
- Lightweight cotton or wool yarn (fingering or sport weight)
- Embroidery needle and a crewel needle for the yarn
- Cotton or linen fabric for Part 1 practice stitching
- A piece of linen to fit well in your hoop for Part 2. A lower thread count will make the work easier! You can use Even weave or any linen you have to learn the process. You may want to use a magnifier and please make sure you have good light.
- embroidery hoop, if you like to use one
- Embroidery Scissors
Sarah Pedlow, the founder of ThreadWritten, is an artist working with embroidery and cultural preservation through workshops, textile travel tours, and fine art. ThreadWritten supports women artisans, traditional and contemporary textile practices, and the preservation of heritage through research, education, and the cultivation of a global community of makers. Originally from the San Francisco Bay Area, Sarah moved to Amsterdam, NL, in 2019 where she now lives and works. She has taught and lectured at the Fashion Institute of Technology, The Textile Arts Council at the de Young Museum, San Francisco School of Needlework and Design, WildCraft Studio School, The Embroiderers’ Guild of America, Crafts Council Nederland, and Selvedge. She holds an MFA in Visual Arts from Rutgers University (US) and her work has been featured in Uppercase, Veranda, House & Garden UK, Piecework, and Selvedge magazines. Find her artwork at sarahpedlow.com.